President's Report 5-24-10

General News Items
Beaverhunter2
Please type the second number in the list: 6
Are you posting spam?: No

President's Report 5-24-10

Postby Beaverhunter2 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:45 pm

President’s Report- Michigan Trappers and Predator Callers Association

Well it sure felt like summer arrived today! It was 80 degrees and I was repairing my shed. Hopefully I’ll find time and money to build a new one this summer. Too many of my traps have to live outside in plastic tubs!

In October, the DNRE held a Furbearer Management and Ecology class for some of their biologists and technicians. It had a strong “trapping component” in addition to tons of info on furbearer species, habits, diseases, etc. I had the opportunity to be one of the instructors and we had a great time! The DNRE is talking about holding it again this fall and may extend the class to allow the students to make some sets and catch some critters. I’ve reserved some vacation so, assuming they want me back, I can be sure to make it.

In December, the Trapper Education Consultation Team received the DNRE’s “Partners in Conservation” award. The Program seems to be getting some legs and we’re working on getting more classes scheduled. (BTW If you’re interested in becoming an Instructor, the first step is to take the class, so be sure to keep your eyes on the DNRE and MTPCA websites.)

It’s really great to see the DNRE placing such an emphasis on trapping!

The MMIT Rendezvous was a fun- with perfect weather on Saturday. It would have been nice to see more folks in attendance, but a good time was had by all! I had a pretty good crowd at my under-ice ‘rat trapping demo. If you missed it, you’ll have another chance at our Convention in August. Ed Lundborg (Bless his soul!) is still working on the schedule so I don’t know when it will be, but we’ll post the whole schedule when it’s ready. A couple guys asked about the bodygrippers I made to expand my ‘rat ‘line so I asked Ed to add a demo on that as well.

We’re getting ready for the next furbearer reg cycle to start in September. At this time, here are the items we plan to request:

• Increase the Zone 2 Otter limit to two per trapper per season.

• Extend the muskrat and mink season to the end of February- at least in Zone 3 where the ice
conditions can be uncertain well into January. (I can tell you they were really “uncertain” on December 26, 2009! The first lake I trapped had three to four inches on it. On the second lake, I went through up to my chest. The third lake, back to four solid inches.)

• Add raccoons and opossums to the animals that can be hunted at night by calling.

• Allow buckshot for hunting with a predator call at night (at least #4 buck).

• Allow mink and muskrat snaring using snares with a maximum loop size of 3”, require an in-line swivel, and require the use of 1/16” cable.

We’re also working with the hound hunting groups to try to develop a quota system (not a lottery) for bobcats. This should allow the harvest to be better controlled, while allowing equal access to the resource. Something similar to what they use for otter, cougars, and other limited species Out West is what we have in mind.

In case you didn’t know, a new regulation review cycle was established last summer with Bear Regs being reviewed in even years and Furbearer Regs being reviewed in odd years. If you’ve been paying attention to ‘Net, you know that there were some pretty contentious issues related to the Bear Regs this year. There were two options proposed: Option 1 was to split the licenses in the Red Oak Unit into Private Land Only licenses and General (public and private land) licenses. Option 2 was to make no changes to the Red Oak licenses and to reduce the number of bear tags in the Western UP by 10%. Because the MTPCA has long stood for equal access by all sportsmen and sportswomen to our natural resources, we felt we could not support Option 1. Also, we received several requests to support Option 2 because the bear hunters feel the Western UP Bear Population has declined significantly. Preservation of the resource is always of paramount importance, so the MTPCA did come out in support of Option 2. This was consistent with many of the sporting organizations and the MUCC.

There is one furbearer reg that may be changed “out of cycle”. There is a proposal before the NRC to open coyote hunting year-round. This could be decided this year.

The MUCC Convention is the last weekend in June in Big Rapids. Chris Kettler and I plan to attend to represent the MTPCA. I’ve never been to one so I’m really looking forward to it!

Our Convention is the fourth weekend in August (27th-28th) at the Osceola County Fairgrounds in Evart. It’s always a great time with dealers, demos, events and lots of fun for kids of all ages! If you’re thinking of getting a room, the Super8 has changed it’s name to the Osceola Grand Hotel. The cost per night for those attending the Convention is $67.00. Tell them you’re attending the MTPCA Convention to get the reduced rate. If you are planning to get a room, make reservations early- they tend to fill up. On the other hand, there’s lots of camping at the Fairgrounds. (This is how we go.)

I’ll post more info as we get closer to Convention. Take care! And I hope you and yours have a wonderful summer! I look forward to seeing you all in Evart!

John Caretti
Editor
MTPCA

K-zoo
Please type the second number in the list: 5

Re: President's Report 5-24-10

Postby K-zoo » Tue May 25, 2010 3:07 pm

Thank you very much for the report John. Very well written and concise. Thanks for all you and the other officers do for trappers and trapping.
Member - NTA, MTPCA, FTA, NRA, NMLRA, MUCC
2Cor. 5:17

lang49

Postby lang49 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:06 am

John,

Realistically, what is the soonest that a Bobcat quota system could be implemented? Is there any possibility of a NLP public land bobcat trapping season this fall or are we looking towards next fall?

Thanks,
Andrew

Seldom

Postby Seldom » Fri May 28, 2010 12:43 pm

About any 5-10 min clip from either of Eric Space's mink snaring dvd's should answer any and all NRC questions about equipment and techniques for snaring mink.
"I'll keep my Guns, Freedom, & Money... YOU CAN KEEP THE CHANGE!"

griffondog

Postby griffondog » Fri May 28, 2010 3:51 pm

lang49 wrote:John,

Realistically, what is the soonest that a Bobcat quota system could be implemented? Is there any possibility of a NLP public land bobcat trapping season this fall or are we looking towards next fall?

Thanks,
Andrew

The only change we may see this year is the year round coyote hunting season.

Mike
Vice President MTPCA

Beaverhunter2
Please type the second number in the list: 6
Are you posting spam?: No

Postby Beaverhunter2 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:58 pm

Like Griff said, Fall 2011 is the soonest we can hope for. The DNRE and NRC are alternating years to review the Bear and Furbearer Regs. This year was bear. Next year is furbearers.

John
Editor
MTPCA

Return to “News”