MTPCA Conference Call Minutes, 11/20/2013

General News Items
Trapper Jon
Moderator
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:26 am
Please type the second number in the list: 6
Are you posting spam?: No
Location: Southern, Michigan

MTPCA Conference Call Minutes, 11/20/2013

Postby Trapper Jon » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:49 am

Last night was a very good meeting but I think we really need to get together face to face. AND SOON! Thank you Emily for taking notes, I always get lost about half way through. Anyway thanks to all that called in, remember that we really need volunteers to step up. I know it is season, but what ever you can do would be helpful.
Also for Defend the Hunt! We need your raw furs of all types, I am a fur buyer if you would like to donate your raw fur to Defend the Hunt. Please contact me and I will make sure that it gets to were it needs to be. Here are the meeting minutes have a great day.

Jon

MTPCA Conference Call Minutes, 11/20/2013
Board Members present:
• Dale Hendershot
• Mike Schippa
• Tamie Lundborg
• Emily Caretti
• Jon Southworth
• Dennis Cronk
• Melinda Cronk
• Everett Emery
• Mike Marcusen

Reports for Deer Hides:
• Mike Marcusen: 1 location with 4 hides, north-central location is not taking hides anymore
o Low deer kill in UP
• Mike Schippa: 60
• Royal Oak Archery: 40
• Dennis: 60
• Western Wayne > 20
• Another 2 near Gary Schinske
• Drew says MUCC had 15 on Monday
• Lots of reports of low deer numbers this year
• Dale: brother has > 40 hides

Deer Check Stations
• Dennis has unofficial count of 500 on Sunday, 350 on Monday
• Handed out 600 flyers

Materials?
• No one needs anything

News for Fur?
• Dennis doesn’t know that we have a way of knowing of our success
• First sale isn’t until December?
• Dale: wrote something up for trapping magazines, got dropped from The Trapline, advertising

Complaint
• Drew called Dennis and talked to him about a fur buyer that was upset (biggest fur buyer in UP)
o Convention coordinator for UPTA contacted him about the same thing
o Dennis contacted them
o They are upset that “we’re taking money away from fur buyers”
 Very vocal about it
o They feel that they should get a cut of donations
 MUCC is very against this
• Press release states that 100% of proceeds go to Defend the Hunt
• Could cause legal problems if it changes
• Wants UPTA to be liaison if anything
o Veiled threats that if we don’t accept their demands, they’re going to fight us
• Mike: Dennis needs to find out if these guys actually have fur buyers license, doesn’t feel that there are going to be enough deer hides in UP that it’ll be a big deal

Is there a video promoting fur portion of program?
• Not yet
• Jon Southworth is trying to get ahold of the guy who makes the videos to make that happen

Fur
• Gary Schinske is contacting fur buyers
• We need to incentivize them to collect hides for us
o Contract?
 Could ONLY be with people we trust
• Do we have enough time for this?
o Yes; collect hides until May
• Dale: fur buyers could make a cash donation? It’s important that we uphold our current promotion that 100% proceeds go to Defend the Hunt
• Jon Southworth would be willing to handle hides in SLP
o Need drop off locations where he could pick them up every few weekends
• Everything we can get will help
• Important that we maintain the integrity of our organization
• There will be a meeting with Drew on Friday to discuss kick off date of December 3

Coalition
• Dale: meeting Friday
o Proposed budget, finalize everything
o Meeting next week to discuss results of this?
• Mike Schippa: need physical board meeting, maybe at fur sale?
o Dale: hard to do (busy before AND after)
o Tamie: December fur sale lasts a long time
 > 70 lots currently
• Need a face to face meeting with everything that’s going on
o Dale will look at calendar and figure something out
• Hard to get people to more than one part of state
o We still need to figure out how to contact our members
 Fur sales
• We will contact people via mail/phone/etc., but it’s more effective to do it face to face
o Unions, retired people, etc.
 Gun and knife show

Next meeting: Wednesday at 8pm

Other business:
• Visa Mastercard options
o Swipe (phones): for shows
o Machine: for sales, Diana, website
o No PayPal
o Will discuss on Wednesday
• Fur sales
o Everything’s all set
o Dale: need someone to take care of food
 Mike Schippa has the stuff
 Dale will talk to Matt and see if he’s made arrangements, otherwise that will be fine
• Trailer search?
o Nothing has happened yet
o Haven’t found anything yet
o Keep your eyes open

Meeting adjourned
Hey your kids are calling you, go take them Trapping, Hunting, Fishing, or Camping.

Jon S.

Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest