new to trapping

Post your questions about trapping and the MTPCA here.
JTrent
Please type the second number in the list: 6
Are you posting spam?: No

new to trapping

Postby JTrent » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:01 pm

This past weekend I attended the trapper education class in kzoo. I am an avid hunter and fisherman. i am new to trapping. I am looking for an experienced ethical trapper to take me out on his line around kent county area. I know the season is over and willing to help with any between season preps like building box sets waxing dyingetc. I am a hard worker and not afriad to work. i wabt to learn all aspects of trapping. i work at a golf course so i am free all season. ethics are very important to me.
" I'm a low tech man in a high tech world." Phil Robertson

First it's pretty tires, then it's pretty guns...next thing you know, you're shavin' your beard and wearin' capri pants. - Si

Trapper Jon

Re: new to trapping

Postby Trapper Jon » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:13 am

Are you coming to the convention in August? If you do come to the MT&PCA booth. Ask for me, or anyone of us. We will get you some one to tag along with. I am glad that you took the TE course that a very good start.

Jon Southworth
Hey your kids are calling you, go take them Trapping, Hunting, Fishing, or Camping.

Jon S.

JTrent

Postby JTrent » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:06 am

Yes....i will definitely be at the convention in august. is there anything you would recommend me doing in meantime that could help me have more success come next year? I am very excited about learning this new craft...
" I'm a low tech man in a high tech world." Phil Robertson

First it's pretty tires, then it's pretty guns...next thing you know, you're shavin' your beard and wearin' capri pants. - Si

Trapper Jon

Postby Trapper Jon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:18 am

Read anything and everything you can get your hands on about trapping. Mess with your traps everyday, got to get those hands strong. Make sure you have your traps prepaired the way you want them, wax, dye, adjusted and stored. Make sure you set a trap a day, one of every one you have. This will speed you up on opening day. And you will avoid many of the big knuckle slaps. Not that there will be any less of the big ones. But at least your prepaired for them out in the field a little more.
Dig a spot in the back yard make practice sets. This will do two things get you faster at sets, and your confidence will be stronger. If you have a dog, and you want to learn k-9 sets. (Dont use a trap of course.) Just make a mock set, use a little lure/bait. In the back yard and place an x in the pan of the set were you think your traps pan will be. Let your dog loose and see were your dog steps. It will teach you more then you think.
And ask every question you can think of. Look us up at convention, hope to see you there.

Jon
Hey your kids are calling you, go take them Trapping, Hunting, Fishing, or Camping.

Jon S.

Return to “Questions”