Clarification of Muskrat Trapping Regs

Discuss bills and other trapping related legislation here
Beaverhunter2
Please type the second number in the list: 6
Are you posting spam?: No

Clarification of Muskrat Trapping Regs

Postby Beaverhunter2 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:14 pm

Some questions were raised about various techniques for trapping muskrats and how they related to the prohibition of damaging, disturbing, or destroying mskrat houses, homes, or holes. I've been in contact with the DNR and have some clarification for you. These are MY words- not their's. I will be receiving the "official" wording soon and will post it as soon as I get it. Until then, this is essentially what I received from the DNR and complying with this clarification should keep you from getting a ticket.

Anyways, here you go:

It is illegal to remove any material from a structure built by muskrats. No cutting into them, making pockets in the sides, etc.

It is illegal to reach up inside of any structure built by muskrats to place a trap (including feeders and push-ups).

It is legal to set traps on the outside of a muskrat structure (like on the feeding shelf of a house in open water) as long as the structure is not altered in any way.

It is legal to set traps at the entrances to houses, holes, bank dens, etc.

Push-ups, feeders, lodges, bank dens, etc are all structures built by muskrats. A feeder or push-up is no different from a house or lodge as far as the regs are concerned.

I hope this helps clarify things for you Good luck with the rest of the season! Be careful out there!

John
Editor
MTPCA

Dale H

Re: Clarification of Muskrat Trapping Regs

Postby Dale H » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:47 am

Thanks John that sounds more in line with what I thought. Comunication is a tough thing to for all of us and the DNR is no different. It will be interesting to see the official wording from the DNR.
Teach a youth and keep our sport alive
President
Michigan Trappers and Predator Callers Assn.
Dale

tomship
Please type the second number in the list: 5

Postby tomship » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:21 pm

John: Pushup trapping was clarified as legal over 20 years ago. A pushup is not a house or home!
Is this some more DNR PC from our furharvester group leader??
Clarification came from Law Div. as the result of an over zealous C.O.! AGAIN-MORE PC ???!!!
Life is too short not to be happy. Keep on stringing steel & enjoy THE GREAT OUTDOORS!

LIFETIME - NTA, NRA
MEMBER- FTA, MTPCA,NWOFT,OSTA

Beaverhunter2
Please type the second number in the list: 6
Are you posting spam?: No

Postby Beaverhunter2 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:49 pm

If you have any documentation of that, Tom, please let me know. I'd be glad to take it to the DNR! A letter, a copy of the regs clarifying it, even an old Trapline that says who at the DNR said it was OK would help.

However, I've been trapping for 37 years and don't remember anything in the regs saying we could set inside a push-up (or any other muskrat structure)- and I read them religiously every year. I hope you have something! Because unfortunately, there's a saying in business and law that if you can't document it- it didn't happen.

That's why Adam and I always put this stuff in hard copy or email. It takes the "I remember when...." out of it for next week, next year, and 20 years from now.

Let me know!

John
Editor
MTPCA

Return to “Laws”