Skunk dispatch, injection

Discuss bills and other trapping related legislation here
Freepop

Skunk dispatch, injection

Postby Freepop » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:51 pm

From what I understand, in Michigan it is illegal to inject a skunk with acetone to dispatch them. I have seen many videos of this practice and I can think of no quicker, less damaging way that is the least likely to cause spray.
Beaverhunter2, do you think there may be some room to change this and/or could you mention it in your next meeting with the NRC? I could also try and get the videos so they could witness this themselves.

Thank you

Freepop

Re: Skunk dispatch, injection

Postby Freepop » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:25 pm

17 views and no opinions or thoughts yet?
What say ye, yea or nea?

Trapper Jon
Please type the second number in the list: 6
Are you posting spam?: No

Postby Trapper Jon » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:07 am

I don’t think that the DNR will condone using a cleaning liquid to put an animal down. The DNR would want a controlled substance use. Which would open up an entirely different can of worms for us. Licenses, Permits to carry and use. Training. Records, Strict Government monitoring. I don’t believe that to be worth a four dollar skunk. That my two pennies. Jon
Hey your kids are calling you, go take them Trapping, Hunting, Fishing, or Camping.

Jon S.

uptrapper

Postby uptrapper » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:47 am

Trapper Jon wrote:I don’t think that the DNR will condone using a cleaning liquid to put an animal down. The DNR would want a controlled substance use. Which would open up an entirely different can of worms for us. Licenses, Permits to carry and use. Training. Records, Strict Government monitoring. I don’t believe that to be worth a four dollar skunk. That my two pennies. Jon

+1
Life ain't easy for a boy named Sue
district 17 director.
"Skunk whisperer"

Freepop

Postby Freepop » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:17 am

I can't fathom why they'd want to regulate anything. The reason I brought this up is because it is a fast and effective method of dispatch, with a low potential for spraying.
Watch the video and then tell me what you think.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/flatset/?action=view&current=skunkpole.flv

Trapper Jon

Postby Trapper Jon » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:01 am

I have seen that video, before I new it was illegal to use acetone I have used it, I am not disputing that it is an effective way to do it. All I am saying is that shooting them up with a cleaning fluid they will not go for. In the Joe blow public eyes that would be in-humane. They would want it aas humane as humanly possible.
Hey your kids are calling you, go take them Trapping, Hunting, Fishing, or Camping.

Jon S.

Trapper Jon

Postby Trapper Jon » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:44 am

I was same as you stating my opionion. I was not implying its wrong, right, or other. Just that I feel that the DNR would cave into what the Joe public views as a humane way. That was my opinion. If you can get them to give that it to us that would be great, and I would shake your hand. And to state it again It was only my opinion. Jon

Jon S.

Dale H

Postby Dale H » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:28 pm

Freepop there have been discussions between the DNRE and the MTPCA on this subject and they are not willing to go there. It is more than a trapping issue it involves many laws that are on the books.
Teach a youth and keep our sport alive
President
Michigan Trappers and Predator Callers Assn.
Dale

griffondog
Please type the second number in the list: 5

Postby griffondog » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:26 pm

Sorry I missed this discussion. This issue is out of the DNRE hands just like feral cats. AVMA guidelines on euthanasia, appendix 4, unacceptable agents and methods of euthanasia lists acetone.

I don't think you would ever have a problem with DNRE people but they aren't the only one's to enforce animal cruelty laws in the state.

http://www.avma.org/issues/animal_welfa ... anasia.pdf

http://www.animallaw.info/articles/ddus ... ruelty.htm

Griff
Vice President MTPCA

3mancubs

Postby 3mancubs » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:11 pm

I'm not against the use of acetone. But what about disposal of the carcass? Would it be considered contaminated or hazardous?

Return to “Laws”